Pages

Saturday, March 31, 2012

Balancing thinking and doing...

I find myself spending hours (HOURS!) researching things on the internet. Granted, this is probably just a general problem I have with moderating my time on the internet, but there's a bigger issue, too. I spend more time learning about things, figuring out how things should be done, than I ever do actually doing them. I use the learning as a procrastination tool. Take health food and natural products for example. For months, I've been casually reading about eating less processed foods and using more natural home products. But my actual use of this growing knowledge isn't proportional. Somehow the act of thinking about living a certain way gives me the illusion that my life is actually that way. What a sad illusion. I think more than I act. I think more than I write. I think more than I live.

There is a time for thinking. Thinking and planning are good because rushing into things unprepared can have negative consequences. But I need more balance between the thinking and the doing, the research and the experimenting. I'm getting better at writing first and editing later. I need to translate that more into my life as well. Act prudently, act rationally, but act!

And if it's not yet time for acting, it is best to reconsider whether I should really be wasting my precious time learning about something I'm not willing or able to do yet. Better to be honest and have balance, than to waste my time with possibilities. Better to say "no" or "not yet," than to confuse myself with "maybe"s.

No comments:

Post a Comment