Pages

Monday, March 26, 2012

Grad School - Why I'm Here

At first I was planning on posting the personal statement that I wrote to get into graduate school. After reviewing it, though, I decided that this is all you get to see:

Science does not stand alone in the world as an impartial, indifferent, autonomous field of study. It is affected by the fact that science is driven by the passions of men and women who are humans before they are scientists. The knowledge, theories and machines that come out of science are, after all, the products of minds which were first captivated by something elegant, beautiful or true. Sadly, the scientific disciplines have largely lost sight of this, gradually aiding in the dehumanization of modern society.* This was neither an inevitable nor a necessary development. ... For the most part, science is tacked onto a liberal arts education as a necessity for functioning in a technological society, rather than integrated with the humanities as an important component of being a free, contemplative human being. ...**

The ellipses mark a lot of content that you don't get to see. But now maybe you can get an idea of why I chose to study the history of science. I had a vision of being some sort of advocate between the disciplines, showing liberal arts students how they can integrate science and the humanities. One of the questions I'm mulling over, now that I'm about 3/4 of the way through my first year - was my goal a realistic expectation of what grad school would prepare me for?

________________
* This is a controversial statement that I'm not going to defend here right now. It has to be admitted, though, that science, just like anything else, has had major negative consequences despite all the good it does for humanity.
** Obviously the lines between the disciplines aren't as black and white as I've painted them. I may have sensationalized the differences a bit. In this day and age there is a lot of interdisciplinary work going on.

No comments:

Post a Comment