Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

"Pull yourself together!"

^ I know that's a generic phrase, but I have a specific movie reference in mind that I can't recall right now. Anyways...
-----------------------

I just hit one of those nasty patches of grad school - "just" as in about half-an-hour ago. I've let my procrastination of writing go a little too long for comfort. I've failed to meet self-made deadlines (those are the worst for me because then I feel guilty when I don't really have to). I spent hours today reading a scholarly book about stuff that I never wanted to learn about (you'll just have to take my word for it that you never wanted to learn about it either). I'm in a general "blah..." mood when it comes to academia.

Tomorrow's Tuesday, though. That paper still needs to be written. I have to finish reading that book, no matter how unpleasant it is. Grad school is my job and like everyone else I will have to get up and (figuratively go to) work tomorrow.

There needs to be some balance between coddling myself by trying to stir up internal motivation with warm, fuzzy feelings and (figuratively) slapping myself and saying "pull yourself together!" The best solution I have now is pray about it, sleep, and try again tomorrow.

The steadfast love of the LORD never ceases;
his mercies never come to an end;
they are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
"The LORD is my portion," says my soul,
"therefore I will hope in him."
(Lam. 3:22-24, ESV)

Also especially important for me to understand:

It is good for a man that he bear
the yoke in his youth.
(Lam. 3:27, ESV)

No comments:

Post a Comment