Pages

Saturday, April 21, 2012

The Unknown

It's pretty fantastic when God speaks even through the incredibly mundane tasks of graduate school life, like reading for coursework. I came across this the other day:
The nature of serfdom was encapsulated in Bracton's saying that the serf does not know today what his lord might order him to do tomorrow. (Paul Freedman, Images of the Medieval Peasant, p. 84)
How true is that? We never quite know what God will ask of us tomorrow. The season I'm in right now is one of having to walk by faith. I can't plan my future step-by-step right now, there are way too many unknowns. I'm so used to having Plan A, Plan B, Plan C, etc. for my life, that to stop now and live one day at a time and leave the future for the future is incredibly difficult. He is a good Father and His plans for me are good. Can I trust that they are good even though they are unknown? I'm so used to being fearful of those things that I don't have figured out. I have to learn that the unknown is not a bad thing. In fact, because the unknown is completely in His hands, it is in fact a very good thing. I have no control over it. I have no way to manipulate it. It is entirely His right now. That should be an exciting comfort. Who knows what tomorrow brings? He does, and I can be content with that.

No comments:

Post a Comment